OKI Launches LSI to Enable Longer Music Playback for Mobile Phones
Low power consumption is achieved by embedding RAM and a D-class amplifier in the same package
TOKYO, September 8, 2008 -- Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd. (TSE: 6703) today announced it will start volume shipment of a headphone amplifier LSI, the ML2650, from October 2008. This LSI enables battery-powered mobile phones to play back music with low-power consumption, which is achieved by a highly efficient D-class amplifier equipped with a 64KB SRAM that temporarily saves music data. In addition, the LSI comes in an ultra small package size of 2.54 mm x 2.70 mm.
Portable music players and mobile phones with music playback function are becoming complex, requiring CPUs to offer higher performance. However, when using such high-performance CPUs, a complex software process is necessary to reduce power consumption. Therefore, developers have been looking for an easier way to achieve low power consumption in such devices. One way to control power consumption is by pacing operation of the CPU, which is a method to forward music data processed on the CPU to RAM within the device, and put the CPU to rest or standby.
"OKI developed the ML2650, which includes a D-class headphone amplifier to connect with the external CPU, a 64KB SRAM, and a 16 bit stereo DA converter, all on a single chip that will help to reduce load from the CPU" said Hiroshi Enomoto, President of Silicon Solutions Company at OKI. "This LSI will enable mobile device/phone manufacturers to easily extend the music playback time. In addition, with the ultra small package size at 2.54 mm x 2.70 mm, it will contribute in smaller devices as it significantly reduces the packaging space."
Going forward, OKI will expands its sound LSI product lineup, and develop and sell LSIs that can playback rich sound through various applications.
- Low power consumption stereo head phone amplifier
Equipped with: 10mW output, highly efficient stereo D-Class headphone amplifier
- 64KB SRAM
Equipped with a 64KB SRAM to temporarily store music data
- Apply W-CSP, the ultra small packaging technology
By applying OKI's ultra small packaging technology, W-CSP (Wafer level Chip Size Package), the LSI comes in a size of 2.54mm x 2.70 mm.
[Reference] Sales plan
- Product name
- ML2650HB (36pin W-CSP)
- Sample shipment
- Volume shipmen
- From October 2008
[Reference] Product summary and characteristic
- DAC:16bit stereo
- Sampling frequency:16/22.05/24/32/44.1/48 kHz
- Low power consumption D-class stereo headphone amplifier
- RAM:Equipped with 64KB SRAM for PCM data
- CPU interface:8bit parallel interface
- Audio interface:16bit Option to choose master/slave
- Clock frequency:32kHz - 30MHz
- Power voltage
Digital area:1.1V - 1.65V
IO area and headphone amplifier:1.65V - 3.60V
PLL:2.375V - 3.60V
- Package size:36pin W-CSP (2.54mm x 2.70mm)
About Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
Founded in 1881, Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd. is Japan's first telecommunications manufacturer, with its headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. OKI provides top-quality products, technologies and solutions to its customers through its info-telecom system business, semiconductor business and printer business. All three businesses function as a collective force to create exciting new products and technologies that satisfy a spectrum of customer needs in various markets. Visit OKI's global web site at http://www.oki.com/.
- Because the extended playback time differs depending on the system design, OKI cannot guarantee the time.
- Names of companies and products are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies and organizations.
- Press Contact:
- For Europe and Americas:
Public Relations Division
- For Asia and Other Areas:
Public Relations Division
- * Information in the press releases is current on the date of the press announcement, but is subject to change without prior notice.